Carel Kraayenhof and Juan Pablo Dobal travel through the country with the music-performance Hotel Victoria. The cd with the same name is a sensitive reproduction of the emotions shared by travelling musicians. The title refers to the famous Gran Hotel Victoria in Buenos Aires where artists used to meet each other, but is also a link to a tango of 1906. It is not only nostalgia what you hear; in the title-number the duo brings an ode to the present nomad-existence of the musician.
From my email-address the reaction of Mathilde Tiessen on the concert of Carel Kraayenhof in the Noorderchurch. For this concert she got two free tickets. When you read it you will understand how much we enjoyed. Good luck with your programme. We are regular listeners.
Mathilde T and Henk V.
We were chosen to be present for free at the Saturday-afternoon-concert of Carel Kraayenhof and Juan Pablo Dobal in the Noorderchurch in Amsterdam, 6 February 2016.
During this sparkling and heartwarming concert the first copy was presented of their new cd: ‘Tango Hotel Victoria’.
It was a top performance: 5 stars, craftmanship, cheerfulness, class, relaxed and heartwarming!
The cd is named after the first number, a tango: ‘Hotel Victoria’ from 1906, but it also refers to the hundreds of hotelrooms occupied and slept in every year by Carel and his musicians. Because of the scenery you really imagined to be in a hotelroom with bed and bedspread in which sitting on the bed, nicely chatting, table, cupboard, cuddly cat (Piazzolla was called ‘The Cat’) an intimate atmosphere was created. With every number appeared enlisted the one to whom the special number was dedicated.
1 Tango Victoria: picture of an Argentinian hotel. Sparkling beginning with fast high tones and after that the familiar tango-sounds and later cheerful and sparkling again. The beginning was set! The atmosphere at once relaxed and full of attention, because after this first number the new cd was handed over by Anita Verheggen, the lady who looks after the rights and concerns of musicians. Gratefulness.
For years and years Carel and his friends travelled and collected folk-music/folklore in Argentina and neighbouring countries. So lots of inspiration to compose themselves and then starts the list dedicated to:
2 Enny, written on the occasion of the eightiest birthday of his mother (present); a waltz with an incredibly nice interaction between bandoneon and oiano. No question, there is a loving mother-son relation.
3 Nata Blanca or ‘Whitenose’: picture of Carel’s cat, dedicated to his three-legged cat who bumps in three-four time through the high grass of the Beemster. Music as if you see all its movements (and hesitation) and it can only be a happy cat. Dedicated to his brother Jaap who is a cat-lover.
4 The fourth number is a Milonga (melody) in the ‘most African rhythm of Argentina’ tells Juan Pablo: the Chacarera. Mixture of African, Spanish/Porugese and native rhythm.
5/6 The pianist plays solo two own compositions. The first calm and melancholic as if you see prospects; inspired by NE Argentina. The second one inspired on a region bordering on Chili, the whine-region, and yes: it is an infectious story as if somebody is coming home; that it was alright there and the wine tasted delicious! And there are so many things to tell!
7 In music-piece numer 7 Kraayenhof plays solo; a waltz-ballad called ‘Charlotte’. It is dedicated to his beloved sister in law ….. Charlotte. An ode to her because she dedicated herself to wheelchair-friendly dwellings in Groningen. It is a simple and lovely story from which you can conclude again: ‘That relation is OK’!
8 The pianist with a virtuoso rhythmic piece; again a Chacarera.
9 ‘Beautiful lunatic’, Loco Lindo is the melodious based on folklore-music story of a man who makes a hole in the floor of a museum to be able to look at the art-treasures without a ticket. A self-portrait of expressive artist Maurizio Cattelan (photo). Bandoneon and piano with unexpected turns and humour!
10 After a waltz on which you (the public) would like to dance the double-bassplayer joins and the three of them play Opera 79.
11 Not an opera…no, it is the address where Arjan and Marianne live, the people of Tango-salon Plantage Muidergracht. And yes! There is live-dancing now by a topclass-amateur-duo out of the audience!
Then a violin-player joins and a tribute is payed to a 90 years old lady-friend who as a girl survived the concentration-camp together with her mother and who after that devoted herself her whole life to ‘Worldpeace’.
12 Frieda’s Milonga…… so charming, so mature…….
As prelude of the sparkling finish a carnivalesk, cheerful, active and challenging number is played; bandoneon, doublebass, piano…. 13
14 And then an extra percussionist arrives. Enrique Firpi. Back to back with pianist Dobal. Together they play an Uruguayan rhythm the ‘Candombe’; a foolish, contra each other going rhythm. Music expressing the wish that slavery may be over some time. Something like: ‘We are unique, we are so characteristic, we are and are allowed to be ourselves!’
And as an encore: what do you think? Of course Adios Nonino….. the song that meant the breakthrough of Carel Kraayenhof, played at the wedding of Willem Alexander and Maxima in 2002. Only, played still more exclusive, more lived through, more varied, together with bassplayer Jaap Branderhorst and violinist Bert Vos. But the toppers of this unique, beautiful afternoon were Carel Kraayenhof with his bandoneon and Juan Pablo Dobal on piano!
Seldom heard such a varied, relaxed and masterly concert. Warm because of the odes played for friends and family and warm because of the friendship between the musicians!
We are glad that we were the lucky ones!
Thank you Abel, thank you RTVNH.
Mathilde T and Henk V.
Last season the Great Film- and Musicalorchestra Timbres Divers presented for the first time a programme with Maaike Widdershoven and Tony Neef on a musical dreamjourney through the world of the musical in ‘Best of Broadway’.
During the concert of this year the musicians of Timbres Divers have the versatile bandoneonist Carel Kraayenhof on their side. For many years already he is the international star of the Argentinian tango and at the time also responsable for ‘the tear of Maxima’. With his beautiful playing on the bandoneon this born musician knows how to enchant worldwide every audience. Together they present a special programme in which famous tangos alternate with film- and musicalclassics. This unique concert will only be played this season in two cities: Theatre De Lievenkamp in Oss 3 April at 14.00h and in Dordrecht on 10 April at 14.00h in the Kunstmin. Don’t miss it!
During the past 30 years that Carel Kraayenhof has been involved with Argentine tango he has composed a total of 55 new pieces! The majority of his compositions can be heard (and ordered) directly in our web shop. Answering many fans’ requests, please find here a list of all Carel’s compositions:
1. Clavel rojo – tango – 1989 (CD’s Por el tango;Tangueros de Holanda;Tango Royal)
2. Villa Crespo – tango – 1990 (CD Por el tango)
3. Tiburonero – tango – 1992 (CD Tiburonero)
4. !Taxi! – milonga, tekst: Fabián Russo – 1992 (CD Tiburonero)
5. A Osvaldo Ruggiero – tango – 1996
6. Para Lalo y Mirta – tango – 1997 (CD Tangueros de Holanda)
7. Milonga para Thirza – milonga campera – 1999 (CD Tango Royal)
8. Máxima – tango – 2000 (CD Tango Royal)
9. Desconcierto – milonga campera – 2002 (CD’s Street Tango; !Fuerza!; Lavinia & Carel in Concert)
10. El vals de los mellizos (De wals voor de tweeling) – vals criollo – 2003 (DVD Tango Heroes)
11. El Dino Argentino – tango – 2003 (CD Puro)
12. El Corte – tango – 2004 (CD & DVD Tango Heroes; CD Liberación)
13. El Gancho – tango – 2004
14. A Roberto Alvarez – tango – 2005 (CD & DVD Tango Heroes)
15. Para Alfredo Marcucci – tango -2005 (CD & DVD Tango Heroes)
16. Al ‘tano’ Ruggiero – milonga – 2005 (CD & DVD Tango Heroes)
17. Alma de tango – tango – 2005 (CD & DVD Tango Heroes)
18. Un tornillo en la máquina tanguera – tango – 2005 (CD & DVD Tango Heroes)
19. El duende de tu son- milonga campera – 2005 (CD & DVD Tango Heroes; CD !Fuerza!)
20. Te llevo en mi alma – bolero cubano – 2006 (CD Memorias de Cuba)
21. The road to Bandon – slow jig – 2006
22. Julia (Once upon a time in West Cork) – ballad – 2006
23. Six monkey suits in Skibbereen – 2006
24. La Marea – filmmuziek – 2006 (film ‘La Marea’; CD Compassion)
25. Viejo caballo – milonga campera, tekst : Omar Mollo – 2008 (CD Compassion)
27. Valsecito juguetón (Waltzing Joke) – vals criollo – 2008
28. Mis pibes – canción, tekst: C.Kraayenhof – 2009 (CD Compassion)
29. Suite Compasión, Deel I: La Marea – Terremoto – 2009 (CD Compassion)
30. Suite Compasión, Deel II: Compasión – 2009 (CD Compassion)
31. Suite Compasión, Deel III: !Fuerza! – 2009 (CD’s Compassion; !Fuerza!)
32. Petite musette pour Omi – valse musette – 2010
33. Lagrima añeja – milonga campera – 2011 (CD !Fuerza!)
34. The Chase – 2012 (CD !Fuerza!)
35. Loco lindo – milonga – 2012 (CD Hotel Victoria)
36. Bamestra – 2012 (CD Liberación)
37. Enny – valsecito – 2013 (CD Hotel Victoria)
38. El fuego del fueye – milonga – 2014 (CD Liberación)
39. Candombe voor Henk – 2014
40. El marinero y el músico (De zeeman en de muzikant) – 2014
41. Madre de un pueblo – balada – 2014
42. Lament – 2014 (CD Liberación)
43. Ida y vuelta – 2014 (CD Liberación)
44. Ñata blanca – aire de zamba – 2014 (CD Lavinia & Carel in Concert; Hotel Victoria)
45. So many partings (Princess Traveller Song) – 2014 (CD Liberación; Lavinia & Carel in Concert)
46. So Long, Island – 2014 (CD Liberación)
47. Charlotte – 2014 (CD Hotel Victoria)
48. Cry for freedom – 2014 (CD Liberación)
49. Lampesusa – 2014 (CD Liberación)
50. Aleppo – 2014 (CD Liberación)
51. Frieda’s milonga – milonga campera – 2015 (CD Hotel Victoria)
52. Opera 79 – milonga – 2015 (CD Hotel Victoria)
53. Más mugre – tango – 2015
54. !Dame polenta! – tango – 2015
55. If only you were here (Ojalá estuvieras acá) – 2015
Wednesday afternoon, 3rd of February, Carel Kraayenhof will be the guest on the program ‘Actueel’, of the channel ‘De Concertzender’, between 15:15 and 15:45 hrs. The program is available in the Utrecht area (NL) and via the internet (www.concertzender.nl).
Carel will be talking about his new album, ‘Hotel Victoria’, which was recorded together with Juan Pablo Dobal.
The program’s presenter is Bart van der Horst.
On Saturday February 6th at 14hrs, Carel Kraayenhof & Juan Pablo Dobal will officially present their new album ‘Hotel Victoria’. The CD will them be available on shops and on iTunes. You are also always welcome to order the CD via our web shop (with or without the musicians’ autograph)
For more information please visit: www.noorderkerkconcerten.nl
On Monday February 1st, Carel Kraayenhof and Juan Pablo Dobal are guests on the tv program JINEK on NPO 1, Dutch TV, at 23:00hrs.
They will talk about their new CD ‘Hotel Victoria’ which will be officially presented on the 6th of February in Amsterdam.
For more information please visit: www.kro-ncrv.nl/jinek
Klik hier voor boekingen of overige vragen.
1462 ZG Middenbeemster
BTW nummer 851958242 B01
- April 2018
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- March 2017
- January 2017
- October 2016
- September 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- June 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013